I live in Michigan, and if you have read anything about the economy you know we are close to last when states are ranked in terms of economic health. We have a long journey in front of us. As we wait for a new governor to start and demand for new/old products to grow I cannot help but think that I am tired of waiting. Really, what am I waiting for? We often look to leaders to fix things or make things better, waiting for the right rallying cry or piece of legislation. In waiting, we make a choice to let someone else figure things out.
Sometimes it is important to recognize what we have many things to be thankful for, and then make the choice to make it better. I believe this is one of those times. Here are a few illustrations of what I mean.
- A sunny day is a gift. Going outside to enjoy it is a choice.
- Children are a gift. Putting your paper down to listen to them is a choice.
- Having a job is a gift. Getting enjoyment and fulfillment from that job is a choice.
- Having people around you to help you find a job is a gift. Preparing for the interview and being confident in who you are is a choice.
- Having a great boss is a gift. Trusting and supporting that boss is a choice.
- Being asked your opinion by the CEO is a gift. Giving a truthful answer is a choice.
- Your talents are a gift. Choosing a path/role/project to share those talents is a choice.
- A paycheck is a gift. Choosing to smile when you open it is a choice.
The election is over, but we should not wait for new leaders to improve our outlook and get things moving. As followers, we have a choice. The ironic thing about becoming a great follower – if we do it really well we end up being leaders.