Friday’s are great days. As you look out in your office everyone has expectations of the coming two days that will tell you a lot about where they are in life. Here are a few messages you might hear and what they actually are telling you that is significant to know about them:
- “It will be great to get out of here” says – I have worked hard all week and it is a nice break.
- “It will be great to get out of here” says – This place is killing me and any time away is like gold.
- “I can’t wait to spend time with my family” says – I love work, but family time is important to me.
- “It will be quiet, the kids are with my ex” – It will be alone time to either do what I love or miss being connected with the significant people in my life.
- “Oh a little of this and a little of that. What are you doing?” says – Usually you don’t care what I do outside of work. So why ask now?
- “Nothing” says – Usually you don’t care about what I do outside of work. So why ask now?
So what do you hear when you ask? If what they are actually saying is unclear, why not ask another question to allow them to share a little more.
Listening on Friday does commit you to ask again on Monday to see how the weekend turned out. Eventually the last #5 and #6 will go away.
What does your answer tell me about where you are? Is it the same place you want to be next Friday? Happy Friday.